Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I WILL NOT GET ILL

Over the past few weeks I've noticed quite a lot of people around me have been suffering from colds or other illnesses, and my responses have varied from sympathy and compassion to fear that I might catch something. These are probably quite normal responses, but they demonstrate the ongoing struggle between the ego and the development of more altruistic responses to our fellow human beings.

Since Monday I have noticed a slight tingling sensation in the back of my throat and today a couple of friends have pointed out that my voice sounds strangely different. This afternoon I set out for a 7 x 1000m interval training session, and after 4 x 1000m I realised I was not up to it. In the last few weeks I have been very busy and possibly overworked and overstretching my capacities, leaving me quite tired and probably a bit run down. These are not good conditions for someone training for a half marathon, so I intend to do something about it.

Much of the Buddhist Path is about setting up the conditions to support one's spiritual practice. So no late night for me tonight! Responding to other beings in a more loving and compassionate way is likewise an important feature of Buddhism. So more Metta Bhavana (a meditation with the goal of developing loving kindness for all beings) in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment