Monday, March 1, 2010

Another year older and maybe a little wiser too

It was my birthday yesterday. Thanks to all who sent me birthday wishes and cards and stuff. I am now fifty-three. I celebrated with breakfast in bed and a 20 KM run through Treptower Park in the morning, coffee and cake with a few close friends in the afternoon followed by supper with Claudia in our local restaurant, The Flying Table.

Among my presents was a DVD of Shostakovich against Stalin, which I am eager to watch as soon as I find time. Over the last year or so I have been dipping into Shostakovich and I have been much moved by his music, and the little I know of his life. I have particularly enjoyed listening to his 24 Preludes and Fugues, which I recently bought with a gift token I received for Christmas.

Although the snow had almost completely gone from the streets by Sunday morning, in the park there was still a good deal of slush and water underfoot. In the meantime the snow seems to have completely disappeared from the city's pavements, leaving behind an interesting mixture of debris dating back to the New Year's celebrations, two months accumulated litter and dog's mess, and tons of grit.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aarrgh!! But I guess I can still wish you a belated happy birthday, if somewhat belatedly. One thing Buddhists may have in common with people like me is that we are disinclined to complain about getting older. In diesem Sinne, all the best and lots of metta to you and your knees!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoorah! Someone's left a comment. Thanks Margie for the birthday greetings. The knees are doing very well thanks. See you next week

    ReplyDelete