Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Weekend in the country

On Friday I attended a meeting in Essen to discuss the translation and implementation in Germany of the new FWBO Mitra Dharma course. It was a long day, having to get up at 4.30 to catch my train and returning to Berlin around 11.00 pm. It was however a very productive meeting and I appreciated everybody's contributions. I think we reached a suitable conclusion and am sure the course will be of benefit to many people in the years to come.

In the train I watched the DVD about Shostakovich against Stalin and was strongly moved by it. I also listened to several of Shostakovich's preludes and fugues, which I recently acquired. My limited knowledge of music theory no doubt restricts my ability to fully appreciate the subtlties of classical music, but I am increasingly aware of the potential of music to move one and to touch one's emotions. When I find the time I hope to be able to learn more about music theory.

On Saturday morning Claudia and I took a train to the garden in Luckenwalde, enjoying the blue sky and sunshine, despite the freezing temperature. Last time we saw the garden was over the New Year when it was covered in thick snow. Although the snow had since melted, in the afternoon the sky darkened and from the warm comfort of the cottage we watched a snowstorm, which fortunately soon passed. I also ran a slow 8 km.

In the night the temperature fell to minus 8 and after a short walk through the local woods, by which time it had warmed up to around zero, I went for another slow run before lunch, this time around twenty kilometers. Everything seems set for a good run next weekend and for the half marathon in three weeks time, although I am still not so sure about the sole of my right foot. I had to stop briefly again to adjust the lace, after which all was well. I am beginning to suspect the discomfort may have more to do with my running style than with the shoes.

It is a real privilege to be able to enjoy the benefits of Claudia's cottage and garden and to watch the comings and goings of the various birds as they nourish themselves from the feeders hanging on the apple tree in front of the window. Time seems to pass much more slowly in the countryside than it does in the town.


A change in the weather

No comments:

Post a Comment